with the warming weather and the construction of our back deck in it’s planning stages, i have summer on my mind. the days of heat waves and cool drinks are quickly approaching, which means it’s time for some ICED TEA SYRUP and other tea hacks for personal and home care.
iced tea syrup
10 tea bags [i used orange pekoe]
8 cups of water
1.5 cups of sugar [or sweetener of choice, adjusted as required]
1/8 tsp baking soda
juice of 1 lemon, or bottled lemon juice to taste [that’s what i do]
what you do:
- bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
- remove from heat and stir in 10 tea bags. let steep for 15 minutes.
- remove tea bags [do NOT squeeze or your tea will be bitter] and set aside for later use.
- stir in sugar and baking soda, until dissolved.
- add lemon juice.
- keep syrup in a sealed container in the fridge.
to serve: mix equal parts syrup and water to a glass of ice or a large pitcher.
what to do with the leftover tea bags…
here‘s some ideas! interested in some of my favourites?
- soak feet for 20 minutes to kill the stink: “the astringency in tea closes up the sweat-emitting pores that create the smell in the first place, and the tannins kill stinky bacteria.”
- treating razor burn: place cool bags on razor or sun burn for cooling relief.
- cleaning wood furniture: boil the bags again, let cool, and transfer to a spray bottle. the tea will lift dirt and be gentle enough to maintain the wood’s colour.
- deodorizer: after chopping garlic or preparing fish, use your used tea bags to scrub-a-dub-dub and remove the stench!
enjoy your tea party!