i think i have just died and gone to salad heaven. if you can even call this a salad!
i’m not sure what inspired me to whip up this homemade chicken BLT salad with honey mustard dressing and homemade garlic croutons, but i am so glad that i did!
honestly, i think i just mistakenly made the best salad i have ever eaten.
honey mustard dressing [adapted from healthy seasonal recipes]
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- add all ingredients into an airtight container and shake vigorously until combined.
- store in the fridge for up to a week.
garlic croutons [adapted from vulpecula on allrecipes]
- 2 day old white sandwich buns, or half a french loaf
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- pinch of salt
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- cut buns/bread with kitchen scissors into bite sized cubes.
- mix oil with spices in a large bowl.
- add bread and shake to coat.
- spread over a baking sheet and cook for 5-10 minutes [or until golden brown] flipping and drizzling with olive oil halfway through.
as for the chicken, all i do is bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. i enjoy eating the chicken still warm on my salad but it’s also great to make ahead of time and then combine for a delicious packed lunch.
for the salad: toss the romaine with honey mustard dressing and add cherry tomatoes. serve in a bowl with crumbled bacon, homemade croutons and sliced chicken breast on top. can you say YUM???