and i didn’t say healthy. but they are freaking delicious…
if you are open to a strange ingredient. go with me on this.
trust me. just try it! you won’t taste it, i swear.
2 cups flour (all-purpose and whole wheat work fine)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup white sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup mayonnaise (i use a light, generic brand)
(optional) 1/2 cup chocolate chips, walnuts, or mix-in of your choice
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F (350 on convection setting). grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar together in a bowl. add the bananas, mayonnaise, and chocolate chips; stir until well combined. pour into prepared muffin cups to about 3/4 full.
- bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 25-30 minutes.
this recipe is amazing when you have ripe bananas on hand or a freezer full of whole bananas like i often do! the mayonnaise saves on having to add any other liquid (milk or oil) and eggs.
you can also make a banana loaf but the cooking time would change. just keep a close eye and wait for a toothpick to come out clean.
if you really want to take these babies to the next level, top with a cream cheese frosting.
you will need:
1 1/2 cups ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- combine all ingredients using a hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- increase speed to medium high and beat until frosting is light and whipped, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- frost as many or as few muffins as you wish.
these muffins though…
if i’m not immediately slathering on an obscene amount of butter on one of these bad boys, what i like to do is let them cool completely, put each one in a ziploc bag and freeze them. they make an easy breakfast on-the-go or a sweet addition to a packed lunch.
i have passed this recipe on to my mom and aunt who have made these countless times.
my husband also loves them (& so does his coworkers)!